During his presidency, Theodore Roosevelt felt that the coinage of the United States was inferior compared to the designs of many foreign nations, especially when compared to the coinage of ancient Greece. A nation as great as the United States should have a currency that would reflect its greatness. Roosevelt arranged for Augusts Saint Gaudens (considered one of the best sculptors of the time) to redesign the coinage of the United States. This Double Eagle is one of only two designs that he was able to complete before his death, and many consider this to be the most beautiful coin ever minted by the U.S. Mint. These coins were produced at the mints in Denver and Philadelphia. This piece come in a mint state 63, and are certified by NGC.
- 1922 Saint Gaudens Gold Double Eagle MS63 NGC (Certification Number: 3786373-011)
- Condition: MS63 NGC Certified
- Composition: .96750 Pure Gold (AG)
- Weight: .96750 troy ounce
- Diameter: 34mm Letters and Stars on Edge